Friday, January 9, 2015

Adding another family member!

Being a foster parent, it's always hard reading or hearing about children that are coming into care. Especially when foster beds are limited... some children have been spending the night at the CPS (DCS) office. Small children and babies are going to shelters.

Why?

Because there aren't enough foster homes that have open beds to take in these children.

Sometimes I wish I could just not pay attention to these stories... They are heartbreaking. Especially since I am a foster parent and I am licensed to take up to three children. Right now, I only have one - my little guy. Makes me feel guilty not taking in another child when I have the room... Strange to feel "guilty" - but that's how I feel. I CAN help, but I'm not.

Why? 

The last couple of placements I've taken were babies. With my little guy being only 1 and with me trying to have a baby... I didn't think taking a new foster baby would be the best situation. Therefore, I decided that I will not be taking anymore foster kids in. I was actually considering closing my license after I am able to adopt my little guy.

Why? 

Being a foster parent can be heartbreaking and it's difficult. I've been a foster parent for 3 1/2 years and I've seen a lot of sad stuff and have gone through some hard situations. Even with my little guy... I worry that something will happen and I won't be able to adopt him. It's a scary place to be at times, loving these little ones and having absolutely no control.

Well, today I heard that there were more children going into care and more children going into shelters. I decided that I W|ILL take another foster placement. But this time, I'll go with a 2-3 year old. That way, they can be on the same schedule as my little guy. I called my Licensing Worker (LW) and she told me about this little girl that was at one of our shelters. I am going to meet the little girl on Sunday and see if it'll be a good fit for my home.

It just feels RIGHT. It feels right to take in another child. I also feel ready. Things are so easy with my little guy. We are on a great routine. Adding a new child will change the dynamics, but I think for the better.

I will know more after I meet the little girl on Sunday. From what I've heard, she's a sweet girl with no behaviors. I hope my home is a good fit for her! It is also looking like she'll be a short term placement of about 6-9 months. Will have to see how her case plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment