Thursday, January 22, 2015

Medicated IUI vs Natural Cycle IUI - Insurance Clarification

Just received some clarification on my Insurance Benefits. I have pretty good insurance... but I'm still paying a lot to do all of this. Already met my annual deductible and am getting close to meeting my total out-of-pocket costs.

I wanted clarification on when my insurance would cover IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization).

Insurance Coverage 

Turns out, that I would need to have SIX (6) Ovulation Induced IUI Cycles that fail BEFORE the insurance will cover IVF. 

I was REALLY hoping for a natural cycle. All my test results were normal. On a medicated cycle, you release more follicles and have a higher risk of multiples. The percentage is low for multiples... But it's something I didn't really want to risk. 

However, if I do a "Natural Cycle IUI" - with no medications, it WON'T count towards the SIX "attempts". 

I am really hoping that IUI works and that I won't need to do IVF. However, I want to be prepared that if IUI doesn't work, that I can move onto IVF as quickly as possible. I need to talk to my RE about this. Originally he wanted to try a few natural cycle IUI's. I don't know if he'll start with medicated. 

Medicated IUI

PROS: of starting with medicated is you have a higher percentage of getting pregnant because you're releasing multiple follicles. There is more monitoring - leading to higher costs. 

CONS: Higher risk of multiples. Releasing (losing) more follicles (these are finite). Impact of the fertility drugs. 

Praying that IUI works, with no multiples...! Also, hoping the RE agrees to begin with medicated IUI for insurance coverage purposes. 

Some good news, it looks like the IVF coverage isn't limited to the "number of tries".

The fertility medication that I would get started on is called Clomid

No comments:

Post a Comment