Thursday, January 29, 2015

First Kiss

As a foster parent, there are sometimes "moments" that really show that you're making progress with a child. 

Little Miss has been with me for a little over 2 weeks now. Some moments that are showing me she's adjusting well: 
  • No more tantrums!!! Not to say that she doesn't show defiance. She does, she is a toddler :) But no more throwing herself on the floor and screaming at the top of her lungs for up to 20 minute periods. That's HUGE progress. 
  • She goes to sleep without screaming. She actually ASKS me to go to sleep. She knows the routine so well, she'll say "ni-ni" and head to her room. 
  • She is laughing more. 
  • When I ask for a hug, I get a hug! :) Before I would get a "no".
  • This morning, I asked for a hug and she hugged and KISSED me! :) That's my FIRST kiss from her. This is pretty amazing because it shows she's bonding with me and feels more comfortable. Previously, she did not show much affection. 
I am so happy she's doing so well. She has the routine down and I think it brings her comfort to know what to expect and what comes next in the day. 

When things get hard being a foster parent, I just have to sit back and look at how much progress has been made. This helps me take a deep breathe and know I can deal with whatever comes next. 

What's also pretty sweet, is my Little Guy adores Little Miss. He smiles and laughs with her. He really enjoys her company. 

I have an appointment scheduled with her Guardian Ad-Litem (GAL)'s social worker next week. I should learn more about the case through her. We have court next month: an R&R (report and review). I still haven't met her Case Manager from DCS...  

I also started Little Miss in swim lessons this week. Oh man... it was really sad. A lady that looks like her Birth Mother (BM) walked in the building and she started yelling "MOMMY!" and got really excited. I had to tell her that it wasn't her mommy...  She did pretty well for her first lesson. She only screamed when she was taken off the step of the swimming pool! But she was able to sit and follow directions extremely well. Which is awesome.  

So far, being a family of 3 has been a smooth transition! But don't look at my calendar - it looks like a war zone! Between both children, my work schedule, my personal appointments, and my Toastmasters commitments -- things look HECTIC. Thank goodness I love to calendarize ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment