Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Sonohysterogram - Fibroids!

Had a Sonohysterogram done today. Sonohysterogram uses ultrasound to look at the inside of your uterus. A salt (saline) solution is put in the uterus for a clearer image.

The test is to look at the lining of the uterus and make sure there are no fibroids, that can interfere with an egg implanting. 

It was almost like a Pap smear & is similar to what they do when they perform the IUI. It was a bit uncomfortable, but wasn't too bad. I was trying to relax, but it's hard! 

Some bad news! I have 1, maybe 2 fibroids!! Ugh. Doctor is recommending surgery to have them removed since it can lower my chances of getting pregnant... Or I can try and then if I don't get pregnant, get them removed later. 

Doing some research, fibroids have some risks of miscarriage and can lead to Higher risk of C-Section.  

The fibroid is 3mm on the right hand side. There looked like there was potential for another one at the back of my uterus that was a little smaller. 

Recommendation is surgery to remove them, which would delay my first IUI cycle by a month. Meaning not starting until March... 

I have to admit I was a little upset with this news. I didn't think I would run into this type of issue and I wasn't even concerned about this specific test. 

Luckily it's fixable with surgery... Which would be non-evasive. They go in through the cervix and use a scope to remove them. I have to be put on anesthesia though... Which doesn't sound fun to me at all.....!!!! I've only been under once, when I had my wisdom tooth pulled because it was impacted. That was a horrible experience waking up from. 

Now, I have to make this decision on which path to take: surgery or no surgery? That is the question. 

I'm going to wait to make a decision until I have my consultation with all my test results. 

I also had blood drawn again....! Not much, just one vial - but still. I hate needles!  

Not the best of news & surgery sounds scary... But got to roll with it if I'm going to have this baby! 



2 comments:

  1. I'd rather be branded than go under for surgery ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Christina, your procedure sounded a bit horrifying! I would rather do the non-evasive surgery. At least there are no incisions....

    ReplyDelete