Thursday, January 15, 2015

Family of Three!

We are officially a family of THREE!

Yesterday was a weird day, nothing really went as planned - which actually worked out *better* than things going as planned! Oddly...

Agenda for 1/14/15:

Speech @ Work: DONE and went well.


Fertility Consultation: CANCELLED and reschedule for next week. Bummer... Doctor got stuck in a surgery.


Picking up Little Miss: went well, met with the Shelter Case Manager and went over all the paperwork. A substitute DCS Case Manager came to drop off the Notice to Provider (NTP - is a required form that shows she's my foster daughter). The regular Case Manager was at court for another case. I also received a lot of clothes and toys from the shelter for her, which is awesome.

When we were just about to walk out the door, the Parent Aide (PA) came to pick up Little Miss for a visit... that apparently NOBODY knew was happening! After some frantic phone calls, it was approved to have her go to the visit. Thank goodness, wouldn't want her to miss a visit due to a change in address. Her visits are pretty far from my house...! So, she wouldn't arrive until after 7PM. Yikes. She has a sibling that's school aged, so visits have to be after school.

That was the strangest "pick up" I've had, considering I left without the child!

Pickup up Little Guy: Poor little guy, didn't get to meet Little Miss because his bedtime is at 7PM! He was asleep by the time she arrived.

Visit from Little Guy's Case Manager: This went well. No new news. I did receive some letters from Little Guy's Birth Mom (BM)... they were pretty sad... she mentioned me adopting Little Guy and wants an open adoption... I have to admit that I cried when I read them. It's heartbreaking.

It is strange being on this path. If I have the blessing of calling Little Guy my forever son... that would mean that BM loses him. Adoption is a blessing and a celebration for the adopting parents. But the Birth Parents... not so much. I have all these conflicting feelings of joy and sorrow. I love my Little Guy so very much and can't imagine my life without him... I'm sure BM feels the same exact way.

First Night with Little Miss: When she finally arrived home, she was asleep. She woke up once she was handed over to me. She's perfectly fine with strangers and didn't mind. I gave her a bath, read a book, and started the process of putting her to sleep. Her bedtime at the shelter was 7:30pm.

The first night was rough. She didn't want to sleep in a crib and kept screaming. Poor thing. I rocked and sang to her, which seemed to calm her. When I put her down, she just screamed. So, I stayed in the room with her for a little bit - but every single time I left, she would wake up screaming. This lasted about an hour. Finally, I decided that going back in every single time was probably not helping get her to sleep. I let her "cry" a little (she didn't have more tears, was just mostly screaming) - then she fell straight to sleep. She slept the ENTIRE night! She's a good sleeper. I even had to wake her up in the morning, she didn't wake up by herself.

I'll write another entry on her first day.

So far, so good with being a Family of Three. I can see where the challenges are going to be with getting both kids up and ready in the morning. Keeping to a routine will help. Also, getting up BEFORE the kids would help! Now, if Little Guy can wake up NOT at 5am - I think I can manage. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment