Thursday, January 8, 2015

HSG Test (CD#10) - Good & Weird Results

Today I had an hysterosalpingogram (HSG). Yeah... long word. Here's an explanation: 

What is a hysterosalpingogram?
  • Radiographic contrast (dye) is injected into the uterine cavity through the vagina and cervix 
  • The uterine cavity fills with dye and if the fallopian tubes are open, dye fills the tubes and spills into the abdominal cavity
A hysterosalpingogram, or HSG is an important test of female fertility potential. The HSG test is a radiology procedure usually done in the radiology department of a hospital or outpatient radiology facility. This shows whether the fallopian tubes are open or blocked and whether a blockage is at the junction of the tube and uterus (proximal) or at the other end of the tube (distal).

MY TEST

I arrived at the office early and had to fill out some forms. I was actually surprised at all the "releases" I had to complete for this one procedure! Considering I've had a few already and they were like "no big deal". Not for this one! Release-release-release. Hmmmm. That got me a little nervous, I hate going to the doctor in general. All these tests are not easy breezy for me.

I signed all the paperwork and went back into the radiology room. The nurse explains the procedure and what's going to happen. Takes my blood pressure, my temperature. Then the Doctor comes in and he talks me through it as he's doing it.

Turns out, this one was only FIVE minutes. Really - 5 minutes. There was some discomfort during certain portions and I did cramp up when the dye was inserted. Right when it was "uncomfortable" - It was over. Just like that. Easy breezy? Not really - but wasn't as bad as all the release paper work suggested!

My "Outpatient post-op Instructions and Physician Orders":
  • Notify your physican if you begin to show signs of infection, such as foul smelling discharge, fever above 101 degrees F, sever lower abdominal or pelvic/pain.. 
  • Vaginal bleeding should not last more than 5-7 days. In most cases it is a watery bloody discharge. This is normal. 
  • If your physican finds it necessary for you to have to take home medications, you should obtain them from the pharmacy of your choice. 
  • Avoid sexual intercourse, swimming and tub baths for 24-48 hours. 
  • If a tampon was inserted after your procedure, make sure to remove it 2 hours post procedure. 
After the procedure, we looked at the results.

Good news: my fallopian tubes are open and my uterus is a normal shape. YAY and YAY!

Weird News: My fallopian tubes are in a strange position. The "normal" position is for the fallopian tubes to be to the side of the uterus. Like a T. Mine are more in a "TOUCHDOWN" position like a Y... The Doctor asked me, "Have you had surgery before?" Which, freaked me out!!! I was like "WHY?!!! Is something wrong?!!!" But no, my fallopian tubes are just formed differently. He said it was symmetrical (which is good I think - the symmetrical part of it). I need to go to Google-verse and search for Touchdown shaped fallopian tubes.

Well - good and weird news. I don't think the position of my fallopian tubes will have a big impact on getting pregnant... They're "open" which is what they need to be. I'll know more after my consultation next week. I have SOOOOO many questions, I better write them down before I go.

I just have to say. It is really ODD to see your "insides" on the screens. The uterus and fallopian tubes are really just these small little things. It's crazy how those small organs are so essential to creating life. What a miracle child bearing really is.

UP NEXT...... 

I am OFFICIALLY done with all the pre-testing: Yippee!!!! Woohoo!!! 
  • Transvaginal Ultrasound (CD 2, 3 or 4) - DONE 
  • Bloodwork (CD 2, 3, or 4) - DONE <one vial retaken on CD 9> 
  • Sonohysterogram (before CD 13) - DONE 
  • HSG (before CD 13) - DONE 
Not to mention the additional things I had to do: 
  • High Risk OB Consult for Diabetes  - DONE
  • Psychology Consult - DONE
NOW... for the Follow-Up Consultation with the doctor. That is scheduled for next week on 1/14. We'll go over all the results and see what the next steps are. I'll finally have a clearer idea on where I stand with my fertility factors and hopefully have a "plan" put in place. Figure out what the odds are and if I'll need any fertility treatments or can do the natural IUI (which I'm hoping for). 

I want to get to the fun part: picking out a donor!! Which I'll get to do once I get the results. :) I swear, picking a donor is so strange...! But I'll save that for another post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment