Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe: Choosing a Sperm Donor

As I search for a sperm donor through an online catalog, I have to think to myself: What REALLY matters in picking a sperm donor? 

There are a few search criteria where you can narrow down your donor: Race/Ethnicity, Eye Color,  Hair Color, Height, Weight, Unit Type Available (IUI/ICI), Quantity Available, Blood Group, Rh Factor, CMV Status, and Jewish Ancestry.

Some of this makes sense: Units available, type of units available, CMV Status.

Some of it, I am asking myself:

  • Why is Blood Group and Rh Factor in there? Should I be trying to match my Blood type?
  • I'm not Jewish. Do I mind if my donor is? 
  • Do I really care about Race/Ethnicity? I'm a mixed race. Should I choose one race over another? 
Does eye color REALLY matter? I have brown eyes. My dad has green/blue eyes. I would love for my child to have light colored eyes. But does it REALLY matter if they do? Not really... But will I limit the search on the eye color....?? Same goes with height and weight.

Within each profile you get more info: Education/Occupation, brief overview, audio interview, baby photo, extended profile, Keirsey Test, and staff impressions.

It's not like this is online dating, but it kind of feels like it is! How DO you narrow down the possibilities? Do I base it on: I like his voice? I like his background? Medical background? 

Other things to ponder: I've been looking at the baby pictures of the donors and I'm not sure if I want to go with a donor that has similar features as I have, so the baby can look "more like me" or if I go with someone that I would potentially like to date. Tall, handsome, blue eyes, and brown hair. 

<sigh> The choices are endless. But that's the thing. I have to make a choice. I have to decide which one of these criteria really matter to me. Also, the impact on my child by choosing a donor. 

Instead of focusing on all these endless questions. Here is the Game Plan: 

FIRST ROUND: 
  1. Someone that is "easy on the eyes". Aesthetically pleasing ;-) Why not? :) Which, if you really want to know, this is a hard call. All the pictures available are of babies. MOST babies are cute and so adorable!! So, not that "easy" to really choose by this factor. 
  2. Someone taller than 5'9. I'm 5'6 and if I have a baby boy, want him to have the option of having some height on him. 
  3. Going with lighter eye color, blue/green - just to up the odds that my baby will have light colored eyes. 
  4. Has to have IUI vials available and have at least 5 available for purchase. 
SECOND ROUND

These are the TOP TWO things I'm looking at, but are not in the initial search criteria. Have to read through the profiles to get the info: 
  1. I want an Open Donor (not in search criteria - have to read in the profiles) - willing to be contacted when my child turns 18. 
  2. Medical History (not in search criteria - have to read in the profiles)- no family history of Diabetes or major diseases. I have diabetes and I want to give my child the chance to NOT have it. 
THIRD ROUND: 
  1. In voice interview, someone that sounds "nice". NOTE: Not everyone sounds nice and authentic! Some of them sound cocky. LOL. I am also in Toastmasters, so someone that doesn't have a lot of "um's" or "ah's". Haha, J/K - kind of... ;) 
  2. If still unable to narrow it down: read through staff impressions and the Keirsey Test. 
  3. Finally, email the sperm bank and find out if there are already any reported pregnancies and the number of siblings reported. 
FOURTH ROUND: 
  1. Once I have all the info and I STILL can't make a decision, I'll ask my trust worthy friends to get their opinions :) 
That's the Game Plan! Wish me luck!!! Going to really focus on choosing by mid-February. 

No comments:

Post a Comment